text wrestling summary

Stephen Marche in the article Home Economics ; The Link Between Work Life Balance And Income Equality talks about the standard American family always having to work leaving little to no time for family entertainment. He Compares the domestic lifestyle to a behind TV show series. In other words you ask yourself how will you make this happen ? but along the way there’s tears and also laughter, and at the end of the day the only important thing is that everyone is fed and has clothes on their back. No matter whether the the household income came from the father working and the mother staying at home or vice versa. It doesn’t matter who brings the money home as long as the family has the necessary things they need. He also says that however over the years things have changed. Decades ago there was gender roles. It was a woman’s job to take care of her kids and the responsibility that needed to be done at the house. While the men were the head of household because they provided the income for his family. Men would also make the decision around the house. But over the years things have changed there are no longer gender roles. ” the family has changed and is further changing, while at work,patriarchy survives as a kind of anachronistic holdover, like daylight savings or summer vacation”. In his article he talks about the Pew study. The pew study is a study that asks cohabiting males and female couples who makes the decisions at home.  The results of the study were ” in 26% of households, the man; well and 43% of households the woman did. Marche talks about how woman are equal to men when it comes to jobs. He states that out of the fifteenth fastest growing jobs categories in the United States 13 are dominated by woman”.

2 thoughts on “text wrestling summary

1. You have picked up some of the important points here, in particular, what Marche says about how things have changed. (That would be more effective as a separate paragraph, though.)

I’m not sure that the info nearer beginning of para. is supposed to reflect Marche’s position or yours. Here I’m looking at “but along the way there’s tears and also laughter, and at the end of the day the only important thing is that everyone is fed and has clothes on their back. No matter whether the the household income came from the father working and the mother staying at home or vice versa. It doesn’t matter who brings the money home as long as the family has the necessary things they need.” I’m not sure he’s saying that exactly.

You’re missing some of his important points, though. I wrote this on Alisha’s draft, but it applies here as well: He seems to be responding to what some female writers have said (Sheryl Sandberg and Anne-Marie Slaughter, mainly). What’s their main message, and how does Marche respond? How does he critique their position? How does he think things have changed over the past 30 or 40 or 50 years? Does he offer any solutions?

I’d suggest rereading the article, and looking for answers to the questions I give above. Then use these topics to create several paragraphs.

I’ll give you all some time in class to discuss the article, and I’ll bring along my notes.

• How you summarize helps me a lot with how I should be summarizing my essay. I also think you should find a way to connect to the article and put your own perspective on it. Also I agree that hes showing how roles of parenting have changed over years and why it did. How you summarized was really good.